Create & Manage Collections
Collections are a grouping of Paths (and only Paths -- no other activities can be added to a Collection). Some of our clients think of Collections as the skeleton for their content strategy -- the framework that holds up all of the important pieces of the collection.
Today, we're going to share with you how to create that framework by adding Paths to a Collection. It also outlines managing Path settings, Section settings, and Collection Properties.
Create a New Collection
A Collection is similar to a Path in the way that it aggregates other activities. Collections have many of the same Properties as Paths.
- Navigate to Content in the admin panel.
- Select the Collections tab.
- Click + New.
- Give your new collection a Title.
- Assign the collection to the appropriate Locale - if needed.
- Click the Create button.
One thing to keep in mind: Collections show each Path as an individual card, like this, so you’ll want to make sure your Path has a cover image as seen below:
Collections | Compose View
You are taken to the Compose tab of the new Collection. Compose lets you create new or add existing Paths to the Collection, control the Settings of the Paths and Sections within the Collection, or edit, remove or manage each Path in the Collection.
1.) Collection Tabs
- The Compose tab is where you land when you create a new Collection or open an existing one. Access Collection Properties or Enrollments.
2.) Hero Image
Paths let you preview how your learners will view a Hero Image. Add a hero image that aligns with Collection content to engage learners.
3.) Collection Title Editing
- Edit the existing Collection Title in line by clicking into the field.
4.) Collection Description
- Provide context for the Paths in your Collection with a Collection Description. Customize with HTML/markdown.
- Sections let you sequence groups of Paths. Edit Section titles and descriptions in line.
6.) Section Settings
- Section Settings are accessible through the kebab dropdown.
7.) + Add Path Button
- Create new Paths directly in the Collection, or add existing Paths with a quick search-and-click.
8.) + Add Section Button
- Add a new Section to the Path. Edit new Section titles and descriptions in line.
Add Paths to a Collection
Build your Collection curriculum by adding existing Paths, or by creating new Paths through the Compose tab of the Collection.
Add an Existing Path
- From the Compose page, click the + Add Path button.
- Select Add Existing Path to search for and add an existing Path.
- Search for an activity using a title or keyword from the title. Intellum lists and auto-fills results as you type.
- Select the appropriate activity from the results.
- Click Save to add the Path to your Collection
Create a New Path
1. From the Compose page, click the + Add Path button.
2. Select Create New Path
3. Give the new Path a Title.
4. Use the Scheduled Activity setting to enable live Events - if needed.
5. Click the Create button.
After adding an existing Path, or creating a new Path, you are returned to the Compose tab of the Collection.
Manage Paths in a Collection
Once a Path is added to a Collection, it can be moved within a Section or moved to other Sections. Select the appropriate activity row and use the drag-and-drop feature to place the activity.
Clicking the kebab dropdown on a Path gives you access to:
- Path | Settings
- Control a Path's behavior and impact within the Collection
- Remove Path
- Deletes a Path from the Collection. Any Path you create in a Collection remains accessible via the Content list if removed.
Go to Path
Access a Path's content, Properties, or Enrollments.
Path > Settings Exempt a User from the rest of the Collection if this Activity is Passed
Note: If enabled, the learner is exempted from the remaining Paths in the Collections and receives a Completion for the Collection.
Add Sections to a Collection
Sections are designed to group the Paths in your Collection by organizing your curriculum. Sections have the same drag-and-drop feature as Paths to let you customize the flow of the Collection.
From the Compose page, click the + Add Section button.
A new Section is added to the Path. The Section title and description can both be edited inline - as needed.
Clicking the kebab dropdown at the end of the Section row gives you access to:
- Section > Settings
- Control Section completion rules and learner access.
- Delete Section
- Remove the Section, and all Paths within it, from the Collection.
Users are prompted to confirm the Section deletion by acknowledging its impact on associated Path enrollments.
Section | Settings
Once created, Sections have their own Setting that controls its appearance and functionality for learners.
Section Completion Rules: Define how the Paths in a Section must be completed:
- Complete in Any Order
- Complete in Order
- [Paths] Optional
Note: The All dropdown allows you to define how many Paths in the Section are required - dependent on the number of Paths currently in the Section.
Lock Activities Until
Enter a date in this field to lock access to the Section until that date. Paths within the section are given a 'lock' icon and the date the Section will be available is made visible to learners.
Collection Properties let you control settings for the Collections in your account. Activities across the platform - including Collections - share many common Properties. The properties highlighted in this section help you with specific aspects of delivering your learning Paths in Collections.
Catalog Properties | Collections
When enabled in a Collection's Properties, the Deep Search property prevents the Paths included in a Collection from appearing in search results in the context of the Collection.
Enrollment Properties | Collections
Sometimes learners complete a Path before being enrolled in a Collection that includes the same Path. Activity Eligibility lets you restrict how far back the system should look for completed learning Paths:
All learning activities are eligible: Gives credit for all completed learning activity enrollments.
Only learning activities that were completed after collection enrollment are eligible: Only gives credit for learning activities that were completed after the Path enrolled date.
Only learning activities that were completed X months prior to collection enrollment are eligible: Only gives credit for learning activities that were completed X (i.e. 3, 6, etc.) number of months before the Path enrolled date.
Only learning activities that were completed after X date are eligible: Only gives credit for learning activities with a completed-on date that takes place after the date you define with this option.
Did this article help?
Let us know by leaving a star rating or review at the top of this article.