Working remotely has its appeal, especially for those of us used to fighting hours of traffic each day to get to the office on time. After all, it's easy to roll out of bed five minutes before your first conference call -- you just need a moment to throw a hat on, right? But working from home is not always as great as it seems. Employees face unique challenges around staying connected to their work and colleagues, and managers need a special skillset to communicate with their team members and keep them engaged.
But don't worry -- you're not facing these challenges alone! At Intellum, we've got you covered with our free, open learning initiative Catcat. We've partnered with experts from around the world to bring you some of the best resources related to working from home and managing a remote team. Check 'em out:
- Working Remotely, Staying Connected. This course, designed for the remote employee by Intellum's own Laetitia Samuel, has valuable resources on collaborating, connecting, and creating a sense of community -- all while staying a safe distance away from your coworkers.
- Work Together, Anywhere! This course, from remote work expert Lisette Sutherland, will help you combat the loneliness and isolation that can come with working from home and includes resources on leading distributed teams with ease.
- The Frustrated Facilitators' Guide to Great Remote Meetings. We've all been in them -- the painfully awkward virtual meetings. Avoid this dreaded scenario with some basics on running your next (or first) online meeting in this course, curated by Judy Rees.
- Leading Virtual Teams. "Managing by walking around" is hard to do when you're not in the office with your team, but that doesn't mean you can't be a great leader. This path will help you address some of the common challenges you might face when building, engaging, and leading your remote workforce.
- Managing Remote Workers: The Art of Delegating and Giving Feedback. In this path, brought to you by the experts at Remote-how, you'll learn how to communicate effectively with your team and, as a bonus, you'll also learn how to deal with "the monkey problem."
- Keep Your Remote Team on Track. This course, curated by Dr. Nicole Lipkin, has some great resources on keeping your team accountable while they're working from home.
We encourage you to check out all of the great, free resources available at Catcat. If there's a course you'd like to see there, shoot us an email at email@example.com -- we'd love to hear from you! You could inspire our next course -- or even be our next featured curator.