Assessments help you ensure your content sticks with users. You can quiz users with graded questions to follow up on retention - or check in with manually graded questions to help assess understanding.
This article shows you how to create a new Assessment, gives an overview of the available assessment Types in the platform, introduces standard assessment questions, and identifies the standard navigation tabs and Properties of assessments.
Create an Assessment
Follow these steps to create an Assessment:
- Navigate to Content in the admin nav panel.
- Click + New and choose Assessment.
- Select an Assessment Type (descriptions below).
- Give your new assessment, survey, or evaluation a Title.
- Assign the page to the appropriate Locale - if needed.
- Use the Scheduled Activity setting to enable live events - if needed.
- Click Create.
The standard Assessment is most commonly used to test a learner's knowledge and automatically assign a grade. To check in with a 'quiz' - or deliver a standardized test, use an Assessment.
If you want learners to respond to questions in short or long-form answers that will require manual grading follow up; or, if you'd like to assign a facilitator to manually grade assessments, use a Facilitated Assessment.
If you want to give learners an opportunity to provide feedback or share their opinions, use a Survey.
If you - or your fellow platform admins - need to review a learner's performance, via observation or ratings, use an Evaluation.
Assessments Page | Overview
When you create a new assessment, or access an existing assessment, you are taken to the Compose tab. Admin controls within an assessment are divided across the following tabs:
- Compose brings activity page authoring to Assessment activities and gives you a preview of the activity page in Learner view.
- Add Hero Image lets you customize the activity page with a banner graphic.
- Edit or update an Assessment Title or Description while working in Compose - all changes are saved immediately. If you've added a Cover Image to the activity, you'll see it reflected on the Compose page.
- Launch as Student lets you preview the assessment as a Learner. An enrollment is created when you launch the assessment. To reset the assessment, delete your enrollment and relaunch the assessment.
- Compose gives you direct access to Create Questions for your assessment.
Create new questions, control question order, and add question Sections.
Access Assessment-specific properties alongside common Activity properties
Create new, or access existing, assessment enrollments
Review assessment results by learner and access their response details
Access a by-question-breakdown of total correct answers and by-answer-breakdown of answer frequency.
Create an Action to recommend, or require, the learner follow up with specific learning content. Actions can be triggered by the user's overall score on the assessment or her score within a question Section in the assessment
Learn more about Assessment Actions:
Assessments | Actions
Assessments | Questions & Question Sections
Admin create, edit, and manage assessment questions and question Sections through the Questions tab.
Learn more about Questions & Question Sections:
Assessments | Questions & Question Sections
Assessments | Properties
Alongside common activity properties, the Properties tab gives you access to assessment-specific settings and controls. Here's a quick breakdown of assessment Properties and their affect on learner experience - if any:
Assessment-specific Properties are broken into three sections:
- Display Properties
- Grading Properties
- Assessment Results Page
Assessment Display Properties
Display properties control the info included on the assessment page, the way the assessment, questions, and answer choices are presented to the learner.
Info added to this field appears at the beginning of an assessment. If Page Setup is set to show one question per page, instructions will appear to a learner after she launches an assessment, but before she starts it.
Controls how assessment questions are presented to learners.
Choose from the following options:
- Question - display one question per page.
- Section - display entire Question Sections on a single page
- All - display all questions on a single page
Adds a tag to each question's info to identify its question Section.
Randomize Question Order
If enabled, questions will be presented to learners in a random order, regardless of intended order or Section.
Randomize Choice Order
If enabled, all answers for multiple choice question types will be randomized.
If enabled, learners will be shown a confirmation message prior to submitting an assessment.
Assessment Grading Properties
Grading Properties let you control the method by which your assessment will be graded and set other grading options like a passing score or time limit.
Surveys - by design - do not feature Grading Properties.
- Success is based on solely on the completion of the assessment
- Success is based on the Passing Score set for the assessment
- Force 100%
- Success is based on the learner answering all questions correctly
The following properties are made available based on your Grade Type selection:
- Passing Score
- Set the passing score for the assessment (i.e. 80% of questions answered correctly)
- Time Limit
- Adds a countdown timer for learners taking the assessment. If the assessment is not completed in the allocated time, the learner fails the assessment.
If Time Limit is set on an assessment with the Completion grade type, the assessment can be failed if it is not completed within the allocated time.
Assessment Results Page
The Assessment Results Page section of Assessment Properties lets you personalize the results experience for learners after they submit their assessment answers.
Results Page - Passed/Failed Message
Display a custom message after the assessment has been passed or failed.
Show Section Results (A in graphic)
Gives learners a breakdown of assessment results by question Section. Point values are only included for graded assessments.
Show Recommendation and Requirements Section (B in graphic)
Based on the Assessment Actions you set up, recommended, or required, learning content will display in this section.
Response Visibility when Student Reviews (C in graphic)
Determines how answers display when learners review Assessment results.
- Show All Responses: Shows all questions and correct/incorrect answers provided by the learner after the Assessment is submitted.
- Show Only Incorrect Responses: Shows all incorrect questions/answers provided by the learner, and hides correct questions/answers after the Assessment is submitted.
- Hide All Responses: Questions and answers will not be shown to the learner after the Assessment is submitted.
Allow Learner Feedback on Questions (D in graphic)
Give learners an opportunity to provide feedback on assessment questions.
Learn more about Activity Properties: