The user experience is at the core of everything that we do, but ultimately, it starts with the foundational step of managing Users to ensure that they have the best possible experience. The Intellum Platform makes it easy to manage a diverse User population and it all begins here, with the basic building blocks in the user profile.
We'll cover the basics of Users in this article, including how Users are created in Exceed, how to access the User List, the User Properties associated with creating a new User, while also providing you with a quick overview of the information and options available through the User List.
SO, USERS ARE…?
Simply put, Users are your people--the employees, partners, or customers that engage with your learning content. Where do your Users come from? Depending on your preference or need, Users can be created and maintained automatically and/or manually in Exceed.
- Users are Automatically created by...
- Leveraging Exceed’s API to integrate with your HRIS or CRM to create/update User accounts.
- Allowing Users to self-register through your sign in page.
- Users are Manually created by...
- Admin on an individual User basis in Exceed
- Admin through a Bulk Import of Users & User Data via a CSV file upload.
ACCESSING USERS & THE USER LIST
After your Users are added to the Intellum Platform, accessing Users and their account information is easy. On the left navigation menu, click the Users tab to view the User List page. The User List is your one-stop-shop within Exceed for User information and maintenance. The search and filtering tools in the User List can help you surface the User accounts you need quickly and precisely.
The User List page displays all of the Users currently in the system. At the top right of the page are two dropdown buttons:
- Import - You can import Users using a .csv file.
- Filter - You can filter the User list on this page by Active or Inactive Users, or by Advanced filter. The latter displays a modal to filter by one or more User properties, as well as allowing you to create and save a Saved Filter.
CREATING A NEW USER
To create a new User, click the New User button:
EDITING NEW USER PROPERTIES
On the Create New User page, you will see all of the editable User property fields separated into four areas:
Note: an asterisk after a field name signifies that the field is required. You can also mouse over most field names to see a tool tip regarding whether a field is required or optional.
- Status - this box is checked by default to make this User active in the system.
- Login - a User's login, or username, allows a User to log into the system.
- Password - the User's password.
- Require Reset - if you want the User to change their password the next time they log in, check this box.
- Description - a description of the User.
- First Name - the User's first name.
- Last Name - the User's last name.
- Timezone - the time zone that the User is based in.
- Preferred Language - this is the language that is set for the User by default based on their location. This impacts what language all system text in the LMS will be displayed in, as well as which activities Users can see in the catalog. Although a User may change their language through a menu in the footer of the User interface, their preference can be set with this function.
- Email - the email address of the User. All letters to the User will be sent to this address.
- Company - the company name the User works for.
- Profile URL - if public profiles are active on the account and the User has made their profile public, this field carries the unique URL extension for the user's profile. (e.g. https:// youraccount.exceedlms.com/profiles/ProfileURL)
- Code - a unique identifier for this User.
- User Authority - from the dropdown list, choose Student, Restricted Admin, or Unrestricted Admin.
- Hired on - the date this User was hired.
- Rehired on - the last date this User was rehired.
- Position - choose one of the available position options from the pop-up box. You can create or edit positions from the Positions tab in the left navigation menu.
- Manager - from the pop-up box, choose another User in the system who is this User's manager or supervisor.
- Branding Organization - Assign this User to an existing branding organization via the dropdown.
Any custom fields that an unrestricted administrator has defined on the Customs page for Users will be displayed here. The fields in this section typically represent data specific to an organization's needs that aren't provided by the other fields present on this page. Examples of User custom fields are Cost Center, Divisional Code, PMO Code, etc. Custom fields are always optional.
The Contact fields are self-explanatory and are comprised of the following, Work Phone, Mobile Phone, Fax, Home Phone, Address One, Address Two, City, State/Province/Region, Zip/Postal Code, Country.
When all the User's data has been entered, click the Create User button. You will then enter the Properties page for that User. All of the fields present during User creation are visible, as well as some additional ones:
Profile Image - at the top of the page, you can upload a profile picture for the User, although this is typically done by the User on their Profile page.
Letter Log History - click this button to be taken to a page listing that shows the letters that have been sent to this User.
Login as this User - if this User is not an Unrestricted Admin, an Unrestricted Admin can log into the system under their account by clicking this button. *Note: you will be logged out of your account if you do so.
Memberships - at the bottom of the page, you can add this User to any existing manually-defined groups by clicking the Add a Group Membership button and choosing from the available manual groups.
Restricted Admin Permissions - if this User is a Restricted Admin, all of their permissions can be set in this section of User Properties.
USER ENROLLMENTS & EXTERNAL CREDITS
On the External Credits page, you can define an external credit for this User by clicking on the New External Credit button. Fill out as many elements of the field as you can and click the Create button. To print an external credit, select it and click the Print button at the top right of the page.
USER LIST OPTIONS
Back on the User List page, when you select a User via the checkbox to the left of their name, three buttons appear at the top left of the page: Edit, Deactivate, and More.
- Edit - this button simply takes you to the User view where you see the Enrollments, External Credits and Properties tabs mentioned above.
- Deactivate - you can make one or more selected Users inactive by simply clicking the Deactivate button and clicking it again in the confirmation pop-up. Inactive Users aren't removed from the system as their data is still intact. To reactivate selected User(s), simply filter the User list by Inactive Users (see above), select the User(s) you wish to reactivate and instead of seeing a Deactivate button you'll click on the Activate button and click it again in the confirmation pop-up.
More - Via the More options, you can choose the following:
- Letter - send an ad hoc letter to one or more selected Users. You'll need to choose either an existing letter template or custom letter. A custom letter allows you to enter a subject and body comprised of text or HTML, as well as dynamic variables which will be replaced with actual values from the database.
- Assign to Organization - you can assign one or more selected Users to a specific branding organization. A pop-up modal will display a dropdown list of all branding organizations in the system to choose from.
- Merge - there may be situations where you need to merge two User accounts. For example, an employee may forget his/her password and create a second account. Or a temporary employee in the LMS may become a full time employee, and you will want to integrate all of their enrollment history into their new, permanent account. The account you want to keep needs to be the one you are editing and selecting "Merge" from. Once you select that function, you will see a pop-up box asking you to choose the User you would like to merge into the one you were editing. By selecting that User and clicking the Merge button, a warning window will pop up informing you that your actions cannot be undone. Click OK to proceed, and the merge will be complete. Note: The old account that was merged will still show up under Inactive Users. The existing, active account now has the completions, in-progress and completed enrollments that the inactive account had, as well as whatever enrollment data the active account has at the present time.